States of Enchantment
If you have ever played Exalted then you know what stunting is. If not, keep reading. If you describe your action as “I lift my sword above my head, bring my shield up in a defensive position, and swing down using the full force of my arm and body across their torso,” I may choose to give you a +1 bonus on your attack and/or damage roll. If you give me a really detailed description that involves really good cinematic language and I think you have done an exemplary job, I may increase the bonus to +2 or +3. This will reduce some of the pressure of describing actions from me, and thus I will reward your efforts.
Important note: you must be able to perform the description. If you want to hit them with your shield then you shield bash, if you want to jump across the table grab the chandelier and swing behind your enemy… get ready to make a lot of different checks.
This can be used out of combat too. If you are picking a lock for example you might describe how you “produce a small pin from beneath your tongue, analyze the lock for a moment, and then bend the pick into the proper shape.”
I’ve already implemented the Hero Point system, but I’m finding it a little limiting. It’s difficult to distribute awards for roleplaying and other story related activities with the points being SO valuable. Instead we’re going to call these bonus points (I’m stealing them from a friend. Don’t tell).
|Player||Bonus Points||Player||Bonus Points|
How to Acquire Them
- Uploading your character background will get you three bonus points.
- Uploading a character portrait (self-drawn, found on the internet, whatever) will get you two points.
- An in-character journal or comparable hand-in/update on obsidian portal receives one bonus point (maximum one point per session). These will also help me keep tabs on your thoughts on events thus far and what your character wants to accomplish.
- I’ll take a volunteer at the beginning of each session to take notes and post a summary. This will be worth two bonus points. Once you’ve received this bonus you may not receive it again until all other players have had an opportunity to do the same. These summaries should be at least a page of text. I strongly encourage you to use evocative language and write it as though you were writing a novel. Feel free to write it from your character’s perspective if you choose. Think about the pages I wrote before the big faceless fight. Like that. Please try to have this done by/before the next session.
- I want to reward good attendance. For every four sessions you attend from start to finish you will receive one bonus point.
- Additionally, two bonus points will be awarded at the end of each session. One will be given solely by me (most likely for excellent roleplay), and the other will be voted on by the players.
How to Spend Them
|1||Reroll any single skill/combat roll (d20 attack, d8 damage, etc.)|
|1||10’ additional movement until end of encounter|
|1||+1 increase to next spell save DC and +1 to overcome SR|
|2||Negate a critical confirmation against you|
|2||Maximum on any single skill/combat roll|
|3||Survive a killing blow/spell (HP reduced to 0 instead)|
|2||Maximum on your HP roll on level up|
|3||+1 Permanent bonus to a saving throw (only once per saving throw per character)|
|3||1 Bonus language (max one per level)|
|5||+1 Permanent ability increase (only twice per character per ability)|
|5||First five skill ranks (all skills considered class skills for these ranks, max rank of character level +3, only once per character)|
|10||First bonus feat (only once per character)|
|10||Second five skill ranks (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the first five)|
|15||Third five skill ranks (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the second five)|
|20||Second bonus feat (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the first feat)|
|20||Fourth five skill ranks (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the third five)|
|30||Third bonus feat (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the second feat)|
|40||Fourth bonus feat (only once per character, cannot be bought on the same level as the third feat)|
|X||Interesting in-game effects. This might be things to do with your character or subtle alterations to the world. What you want will determine the price. How much you spend will also determine how much of an effect we’re talking about.|